Optometric Educators, Inc.
Optometric Educators, Inc. is a not-for-profit organization which was founded in 1978 and is comprised of the faculty of the OSU College of Optometry. The mission of OEI is
- To advance the profession of optometry and foster the general advances of optometrists.
- To provide continuing education to optometrists and para-optometric personnel
- To encourage quality instruction and clinical care at the OSU College of Optometry
- To promote improved communication between the OSU College of Optometry and optometrists in Ohio and elsewhere.
- To promote quality clinical research at the OSU College of Optometry
To meet these missions, OEI sponsors two high quality continuing education meetings each year, typically held on the last weekend of July and the first weekend of December. Each meeting consists of 15 hours of a diverse group of lectures covering areas of ocular and systemic disease, pharmacology, contact lenses, pediatrics, binocular vision and low vision.
All funds above meeting expenses are donated to the OSU College of Optometry to fund many various activities. Some programs which are supported by OEI funds are travel funding for residents and graduate students to travel to the American Academy of Optometry meeting, ARVO, EastWest Eye Conference, and SECO; pilot clinical research projects to obtain pilot data before applying for federal funding; tutoring programs for students in the college; purchase of reference texts and AV equipment to further quality of instruction; grand rounds programs for student education; bringing experts from around the world to lecture to optometry and graduate students; and recruitment and retention of quality students to the OSU College of Optometry. Over the last 30 years, hundreds of thousands of dollars have been donated to the OSU College of Optometry for support of these programs.
This year’s programs will be held on August 9-11, 2013 and December 13-15, 2013. Links for these conferences are below.