Cost of a Year's Work
These estimates are meant to provide a guideline for students planning to enroll at The Ohio State University College of Optometry:Application/Acceptance Fees & Deposits:
- OptomCAS application fee (http://www.optomcas.org)
- Ohio State Optometry supplemental application fee: $60 domestic; $70 international
- Acceptance fee*: $25
- Tuition deposit*: $475
* Once admitted, students have 30 days to accept their admission by paying an acceptance fee and tuition deposit. The acceptance fee and tuition deposit are non-refundable fees. The tuition deposit is applied to University fees for the first year of optometry school.
- Tuition: $25,144
- General Fees: $2,102
- Academic Expenses: $5,966 (this includes books, instruments, vaccinations and immunizations. Some instruments from the second year of optometry school are included)
- Available Funds for Living Expenses: $18,006
Total Aid Available: $51,218
Non-Ohio resident students pay an additional $29,055 during their first year of attendance. Non-Ohio residents do not benefit from the tuition subsidy funded by Ohio tax payers. Non-residents may apply for in-state residency if they meet any of the Ohio Board of Regents guidelines. Typically, out-of-state students must reside in Ohio for twelve consecutive months before being eligible for in-state residency. Please consult the College of Optometry should you have any general questions related to residency establishment.
Students should not purchase textbooks until they have been advised by their instructors during first year orientation. On average, book costs for the first year of optometry school in 2015-2016 were around $633.
Motor vehicle registration fee
Required of any student wishing to park a car ($309.96 for 2015-2016) on Ohio State Columbus grounds (central campus). Options are also available for garage parking and off-site parking with campus bus service.
Room and board
There are many housing options for students looking to attend the College of Optometry. On-campus housing is conveniently located just across the street from our facilities. Additionally, there are many options for off-campus housing.