Prerequisite Courses for the College of Optometry
Admission requires completion of the prerequisites listed below or their equivalents from any accredited college or university. At least one year of this work should be completed at a baccalaureate degree-granting institution. Students are encouraged to complete a bachelor’s degree prior to matriculation in our program. However, some high-achieving students are admitted with three years (90 semester hours) of undergraduate coursework. The number of courses listed below is provided as a guideline. In assessing course content for equivalency, actual numbers of courses may vary for your institution. In some cases, multiple courses may be needed to fulfill prerequisite coursework.
- English Composition (1 Course)
- Inorganic Chemistry, with laboratory (Usually 2 courses)
- Organic Chemistry, no laboratory required (1 Course)
- Biochemistry (1 or 2 courses)
If your institution divides biochemistry into a two series course, you need to take both courses to meet our course content requirements.
- Physics, with laboratory (2 Courses)
Physics course work should cover mechanics, heat, light, sound, electricity, magnetism and modern physics.
- Mathematics – Calculus (1 Course)
- Biology, with laboratory (2 Courses)
- Physiology (1 or 2 Courses)
Physiology course work must cover all of the systems of the body. Unless you took physiology at Ohio State, you must send your physiology course syllabus materials to our office for evaluation at email@example.com
- Microbiology, with laboratory (1 Course)
- Introductory Psychology (1 Course)
- Humanities (2 – 3 Courses)
- Social Sciences (2 – 3 Courses)