Dr. Zimmerman earned his BS degree (2002) optometry degree (2006) and masters degree (2008) all from The Ohio State University. He has been a faculty member at the College of Optometry since 2008 and is currently an Associate Professor of Clinical Optometry. He instructs in the following services: contact lenses, binocular vision / pediatrics, primary vision care, advanced ocular care, student health center, and is the chief of environmental vision. Didactically he teaches the Advanced Contact Lens Lab and the Lasers, Injections, & Advanced Procedures course.
He has been involved with sports vision research studies including eye & head movements in baseball and standards testing for football helmet faceshields. He is currently a member of the Contact Lens Assessment in Youth (CLAY) study group, which studies risk factors associated with soft contact lens adverse events. He is a masked examiner for the Convergence Insufficiency Treatment Trial (CITT-ART).
Currently, he is the chair of the continuing education committee and is the secretary of the faculty advisory committee. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Optometry and is the American Optometric Association representative for the ANSI Z87.1 committee.
- 2008, M.S., Ohio State University, The
- 2006, O.D., Ohio State University, The
- 2002, B.S., Ohio State University, The
- Chalmers RL, Wagner H, Kinoshita BT, Sorbara L, Mitchell GL, Lam D, Richdale K, Zimmerman A. "Is purchasing lenses from the prescriber associated with better habits among soft contact lens wearers?." Contact Lens and Anterior Eye. Vol. 39, no. 6. (December 2016.): 435-441.
- Zimmerman,Aaron,B; Emch,Andrew,J; Geldis,Julia; Nixon,Gregory,J; Mitchell,G,Lynn. "Contact Lens Corneal Inflammatory Events in a University Population." OPTOMETRY AND VISION SCIENCE. Vol. 93, no. 1. (January 2016.): 42-49.
- Zimmerman, Aaron B; Nixon, AlexD; Rueff, Erin M.. "Contact lens associated microbial keratitis:practical considerations for the optometrist.." Clinical Optometry. Vol. 8, (January 2016.): 1-12.
- Richdale K, Lam DY, Wagner H, Zimmerman AB, Kinoshita BT, Chalmers R, Sorbara L, Szczotka-Flynn L, Govindarajulu U, Mitchell GL.. "Case control pilot study of soft contact lens wearers with corneal infiltrative events and healthy controls." Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science. Vol. 57, no. 1. (January 2016.): 47-55.
- Cope,Jennifer,R; Collier,Sarah,A; Rao,Maya,M; Chalmers,Robin; Mitchell,G,Lynn; Richdale,Kathryn; Wagner,Heidi; Kinoshita,Beth,T; Lam,Dawn,Y; Sorbara,Luigina; Zimmerman,Aaron; Yoder,Jonathan,S; Beach,Michael,J. "Contact Lens Wearer Demographics and Risk Behaviors for Contact Lens-Related Eye Infections - United States, 2014." MMWR-MORBIDITY AND MORTALITY WEEKLY REPORT. Vol. 64, no. 32. (August 2015.): 865-870.
- Fogt NF, Zimmerman AB.. "A method to montor eye and head tracking in college baseball players.." Optometry and Vision Science. Vol. 91, no. 2. (February 2014.): 200-211.
- Zimmerman AB, Marks A. "Microbial keratitis secondary to unintended poor compliance with scleral gas-permeable contact lenses." Eye & Contact Lens. Vol. 40, (January 2014.): e1-e4.
- Zimmerman AB, Lust KL, Bullimore MA.. "Visual Acuity and Contrast Sensitivity Testing in Sports Vision." Eye & Contact Lens. Vol. 37, (May 2011.): 153-159.
- Zimmerman AB, Good GW, McLaughlin WR, Katz SE. "Intercollegiate usage schedule and the impact resistance of used football helmet faceshields." Optomety. Vol. 82, (May 2011.): 274-283.
- Baker KR, Zimmerman A, Grzybowski DM, McLauhlin WR, Katz SE, Pfriem DB, Good GW. "Optical quality and impact resistance comparisons of 2 football helmet faceshields." Optometry. Vol. 79, (May 2008.): 455-463.
- Sheedy JE, Subbaram MV, Zimmerman A, Hayes JR. "Text legibility and the letter superiority effect." Human Factors. Vol. 47, no. 4. (April 2005.): 797-815.
- Sorbara, Luigina; Zimmerman, Aaron B; Richdale, Kathryn; Lam, Dawn Y; Kinoshita, Beth T; Chalmers, Robin L; Wagner, Heidi. "Contact Lens Assessment in Youth: Multi-center testing of a risk assessment survey for soft contact lens wearers with adverse events." Eye and Contact Lens. (January 0.): -.
- Centennial Notable Alumnus, 2014
- AOSA Clinical Attending of the Year, 2011
- Michael Polasky Award for Clinical Instruction, 2011
- George Mertz Travel Award, 2011
- Michael Polasky Award for Clinical Instruction, 2010
- Burgei DJ, Zimmerman AB, Good GW, Thimons JJ.. Optometry Board Certification. Columbus: Anadem Publishing, Inc, April 2011.