Assistant Professor - Practice
Alex grew up in central Ohio, graduating from Mount Vernon High School in 2005. Upon graduation, he spent one year at The Ohio State University (OSU) Newark before transferring to OSU Columbus for the remainder of his undergraduate education. He was accepted the College of Optometry after completing three years of undergraduate training, ultimately graduating with a BS in Vision Science in 2011 and an OD in 2012. Following graduation, Alex completed a two year Advanced Practice Fellowship at OSU focused on specialty contact lens fitting, anterior segment disease, and conducting clinical research. During the fellowship, he designed and executed a research project comparing the quality of vision and optical quality of scleral contact lenses to a modern soft contact lens in subjects with normal eyes and vision. This timely research also led to a case series describing a complication associated with small diameter scleral lens fitting called corneal epithelial bullae. Alex completed the Fellowship and earned an MS in Vision Science in 2014.
In 2014, Alex accepted positions as Clinical Assitant Professor at OSU and as associate optometrist at Soutwest Eyecare, a private group practice in Grove City, but ultimately left Southwest Eyecare in 2015 to work exclusively at OSU. During his time as faculty at OSU, Alex has spent the majority of his time working to provide the best clinical experience possible for optometry students. Alex has worked to improve the educational experience in the contact lens service by incorporating Carmen based coursework into the 4th year curriculum. He has also worked to modernize the Contact Lens Service’s medical billing practices, creating new billing guidelines for the service and encouraging fellow attendings to adopt the changes. Alex has also been active in clinical translational research working on an National Institute of Health funded study evaluating the affect of soft bifocal contact lenses on the progression of nearsightedness in children. In the future, Alex plans to continue his efforts to improve the Contact Lens Service and remain an active player in translational contact lens research.
- 2014, M.S., Ohio State University, The
- 2012, O.D., Ohio State University, The
- 2011, B.S., Ohio State University, The
- The Mertz New Educator Travel Award, 2015
- AAO CCLRT Travel Fellowship, 2012
- Eyewear Gallery Innovative Dispensing Award, 2012
- "Visual Performance of Scleral Lenses in Normal Eyes." Presented at American Academy of Optometry, Denver, OH, US|USA. (November 2014)
- "Corneo-Scleral Lenses and Their Use in Normal Eyes." Presented at American Academy of Optometry, Phoenix, AZ, US|USA. (October 2012)
- VanNasdale, Dean A, Huang, Gang, Lai, Nicky, Ciamacca, Marisa, Eilerman, Amanda, Zimmerman, Aaron, Nixon, Alex D, Smith, Molly. "Physical and Optical Properties of Rigid Gas Permeable Contact Lenses Measured with Optical Coherence Tomography." . (January 0.): -.