Current research is in contact lenses to slow the progression of myopia, and in treatment of convergence insufficiency. Dr. Pierce has served on the Board of Trustees of the Ohio Optometric Association from 2003 - 2011, and is a past President of the Ohio Optometric Association. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry, and a member of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO). He has presented several times at both the ARVO and Academy annual meetings. Dr. Pierce also serves as a consultant to the Accreditation Council on Optometric Education. In September, 2000, he traveled to Maracaibo, Venezuela with Student Volunteers in Optometric Service to Humanity (SVOSH) to provide eye care to underprivileged residents.
- American Optometric Sudent Association Faculty Member of the Year, 20070101 - 20070101
- Herbert B. Mote Distinguished Faculty Award, 20070101 - 20070101
- Herbert G. Mote Distinguished Faculty Award, 20020101 - 20020101
- Herbert G. Mote Distinguished Faculty Award, 19940101 - 19940101
- William C. Ezell Fellowship, 19910101 - 19920101
- Ohio Lions Eye Research Foundation Fellowship at OSU, 19890101 - 19930101