Dr. Marjean Taylor Kulp received her bachelors of science in genetics in 1986, and her doctor of optometry in 1991, from The Ohio State University. Between 1991 and 1993 she was the recipient of the Ewalt Fellowship and concurrently completed a master's degree in physiological optics and a fellowship in binocular vision/pediatrics at the College of Optometry. Upon completing her fellowship, she accepted a position as module manager. Her primary responsibilities as module manager included clinical teaching and direct patient care in the Pediatrics and Binocular Vision and Primary Care Services. In January of 1995, she joined the tenure-track faculty as an assistant professor. She completed a 2 year K-30 clinical-research-career development grant program in 2002. Her teaching assignments have included ocular neurology and binocular vision. Her research interests include binocular and children's vision.
She served as the Principal Investigator at The OSU College of Optometry clinical center for a series of multicenter NIH-funded trials to investigate the effectiveness of treatments for convergence insufficiency (Convergence Insufficiency Treatment Trial (CITT) pilot, Base-In CITT, CITT) and serves as PI for the CITT-Attention and Reading Trial (CITT-ART) which is looking at the effect of CI treatment on attention and reading. She also serves as a Principal Investigator for the NIH-funded, Vision In Preschoolers – Hyperopia In Preschoolers (VIP-HIP) Study along with Dr. Elise Ciner, investigating whether farsightedness affects how children perform on educational and visual tests. Dr. Kulp served (with Dr. Paulette Schmidt, OD’73, MS’76) as a Co-Investigator at The OSU Clinical Center for the NIH-funded Vision In Preschoolers Study, which investigated the best preschool vision screening tests for identifying children with one or more targeted vision disorders (amblyopia, strabismus, significant refractive error). She serves or has served on the executive committees for CITT-ART, CITT, and VIP. She is the Principal Investigator for the NIH-funded, Pediatric Eye Disease Investigators Group (PEDIG) studies at The OSU College of Optometry clinical site, including the Amblyopia Treatment Studies (ATS), Correction of Myopia Evaluation Trial 2 (COMET 2) Study, Intermittent Exotropia Studies (IXT), Convergence Insufficiency Treatment Study (CITS), and Hyperopia Treatment Study (HTS). She serves as co-chair of the HTS. She has served as an author on over 100 publications, including a book chapter.
Dr. Kulp received the Ohio Optometric Association’s Jack Keith Young Optometrist of the Year Award in 1996. She is a Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry. She is currently a tenured Distinguish Professor.
- Kulp, M. T., Ying, G. -S., Huang, J., Maguire, M., Quinn, G., Ciner, E. B., . . . Moore, B. D. (2014). Associations between Hyperopia and Other Vision and Refractive Error Characteristics. OPTOMETRY AND VISION SCIENCE, 91(4), 383-389. doi:10.1097/OPX.0000000000000223
- Kulp, M. T., Ying, G. -S., Huang, J., Maguire, M., Quinn, G., Ciner, E. B., . . . Moore, B. D. (2014). Accuracy of Noncycloplegic Retinoscopy, Retinomax Autorefractor, and SureSight Vision Screener for Detecting Significant Refractive Errors. INVESTIGATIVE OPHTHALMOLOGY & VISUAL SCIENCE, 55(3), 1378-1385. doi:10.1167/iovs.13-13433
- Kulp, M. T., Cotter, S. A., Connor, A. J., & Clarke, M. P. (2014). Should amblyopia be treated?. OPHTHALMIC AND PHYSIOLOGICAL OPTICS, 34(2), 226-232. doi:10.1111/opo.12124
- Ying, G. -S., Maguire, M. G., Cyert, L. A., Ciner, E., Quinn, G. E., Kulp, M. T., . . . Moore, B. (2014). Prevalence of Vision Disorders by Racial and Ethnic Group among Children Participating in Head Start. OPHTHALMOLOGY, 121(3), 630-636. doi:10.1016/j.ophtha.2013.09.036
- Huang, J., Maguire, M. G., Ciner, E., Kulp, M. T., Quinn, G. E., Orel-Bixler, D., . . . Ying, G. -S. (2013). Intertester Agreement in Refractive Error Measurements. OPTOMETRY AND VISION SCIENCE, 90(10), 1128-1137. doi:10.1097/OPX.0000000000000025
- Ying, G. -S., Maguire, M., Quinn, G., Kulp, M. T., & Cyert, L. (2011). ROC Analysis of the Accuracy of Noncycloplegic Retinoscopy, Retinomax Autorefractor, and SureSight Vision Screener for Preschool Vision Screening. INVESTIGATIVE OPHTHALMOLOGY & VISUAL SCIENCE, 52(13), 9658-9664. doi:10.1167/iovs.11-8559
- Ciner, E., Carter, A., Ying, G. -S., Maguire, M., & Kulp, M. T. (2011). Comparison of the Retinomax and Palm-AR Auto-Refractors: A Pilot Study. OPTOMETRY AND VISION SCIENCE, 88(7), 830-836. doi:10.1097/OPX.0b013e3182192658
- Gwiazda, J., Chandler, D. L., Cotter, S. A., Everett, D. F., Hyman, L., Kaminski, B. M., . . . Weissberg, E. M. (2011). Progressive-Addition Lenses versus Single-Vision Lenses for Slowing Progression of Myopia in Children with High Accommodative Lag and Near Esophoria. INVESTIGATIVE OPHTHALMOLOGY & VISUAL SCIENCE, 52(5), 2749-2757. doi:10.1167/iovs.10-6631
- Ying, G. -S., Dobson, V., Maguire, M., Kulp, M. T., Quinn, G., & Schmidt, P. (2007). Impact of confidence number on the screening accuracy of the retinomax autorefractor. OPTOMETRY AND VISION SCIENCE, 84(3), 181-188. doi:10.1097/OPX.0b013e3180339f5a
- Please update record with Title (2007). Optometric Education.
- Please update record with Title (2007). Optom Vis Sci.
- Children unable to perform screening tests in Vision in Preschoolers study: Proportion with ocular conditions and impact on measures of test acuity. (2007). Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 48.
- A randomized trial to evaluate two hours of daily patching for strabismic and anisomtetropic amblyopia in children. (2006). Ophthalmolgy, 113.
- Anisometropia and Aniseikonia. In: Borish I, Benjamin J, eds. (2006). Borish's Clinical Refraction, 2nd Ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders.
- Treatment of anisometropic amblyopia in children with refractive correction. (2006). Ophthalmology, 113.
- Randomised clinical trial of the effectiveness of base-in prism reading glasses versus placebo reading glasses for symptomatic convergence insufficiency in children. (2005). The British Journal Of Ophthalmology, 89(10).
- Two-Year Follow-up of a 6-Month Randomized Trial of Atropine vs Patching for Treatment of Moderate Amblyopia in Children. (2005). Arch Ophthalmol, 123.
- A randomized clinical trial of treatments for convergence insufficiency in children. (2005). Archives Of Ophthalmology, 123(1).
- Randomized trial of treatment of amblyopia in children aged 7 to 17 years. (2005). Arch Ophthalmol, 123.
- The effect of amblyopia therapy on ocular alignment. (2005). JAAPOS, 9.
- Holmes, J. M., Beck, R. W., Kraker, R. T., Astle, W. F., Birch, E. E., Cole, S. R., . . . Pediatric Eye Disease Investigator Group. (2004). Risk of amblyopia recurrence after cessation of treatment.. Journal of AAPOS : the official publication of the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, 8(5), 420-428. doi:10.1016/s1091853104001612
- Cyert, L., Dobson, V., Kulp, M. T., Maguire, M. G., Quinn, G. H., Schmidt, P. P., . . . Peskin, E. (2004). Preschool visual acuity screening with HOTV and lea symbols: Testability and between-test agreement. OPTOMETRY AND VISION SCIENCE, 81(9), 678-683. Retrieved from http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/
- Are visual perceptual skills related to mathematics ability in second through sixth grade children? (2004). FOCUS on Learning Problems in Mathematics, 26(4).
- The Electronic Visual Acuity Tester: Testability in Pre-school Children. (2004). Optom Vis Sci, 81.
- One year multi-center, double-masked, placebo controlled parallel, safety and efficacy study of 2% Pirenzepine Ophthalmic Gel in children with myopia. (2004). Arch Ophthalmol, 122.
- Ciner, E., Cyert, L., Dobson, V., Kulp, M. T., Maguire, M., Moore, B., . . . Schultz, J. (2003). Threshold visual acuity testing of preschool children using the crowded HOTV and Lea Symbols acuity tests. JOURNAL OF AAPOS, 7(6), 396-399. doi:10.1016/S1091-8531(03)00211-8
- Ciner, E., Cyert, L., Dobson, V., Haas, B., Kulp, M. T., Maguire, M., . . . Schultz, J. (2003). Testability of preschoolers on stereotests used to screen vision disorders. OPTOMETRY AND VISION SCIENCE, 80(11), 753-757. Retrieved from http://gateway.webofknowledge.com/
- Viual Acuity Results in School-Aged Children and Adults: Lea Symobls Chart Versus Bailey-Lovie Chart. (2003). Optometry & Vision Science, 80(9).
- A randomized trial of patching regimens for treatment of moderate amblyopia in children. (2003). Arch Ophthalmol, 121.
- The course of moderate amblyopia treated with patching in children: experience of the Amblyopia Treatment Study (2003). Am J Ophthalmol, 136.
- The course of moderate amblyopia treated with atropine in children: experience of the Amblyopia Treatment Study (2003). Am J Ophthalmol, 136.
- The clinical profile of moderate amblyopia in children less than seven years of age: Experience of the Amblyopia Treatment Study 1. (2002). Arch Ophthalmol, 120.
- A randomized trial of atropine versus patching for treatment of moderate amblyopia in children. (2002). Arch Ophthalmol, 120.
- Survey of Perceptual Testing Among Binocular Vision/Pediatrics Faculty (2001). Journal of Optometric Vision Development, 32.
- Kulp, M. T. (1999). Relationship between visual motor integration skill and academic performance in kindergarten through third grade. OPTOMETRY AND VISION SCIENCE, 76(3), 159-163. doi:10.1097/00006324-199903000-00015
- Kulp, M. T., & Schmidt, P. P. (1997). The relation of clinical saccadic eye movement testing to reading in kindergartners and first graders. OPTOMETRY AND VISION SCIENCE, 74(1), 37-42. doi:10.1097/00006324-199701000-00018
- Jack Keith Young Optometrist of the Year Award, 19960101
- Fellow American Academy of Optometry, 19960101
- President's Citation, 19920101
- Class of 1965 Scholarship, 19900101
- Varilux Scholarship, 19900101
- Chapter Title: Anisometropia and aniseikonia.Book Title: Borish's Clinical Refraction, 2nd EditionRIV Chapter Authors: Marjean Taylor Kulp, Raasch T, Polasky MRIV Editors: Benjamin JPublication Status: PublishedPublication date: January 2006Publisher: W.B. Saunders, PhiladelphiaReviewed Item?: falsePercent Authorship: 100
- Chapter Title: Anisometropia and aniseikonia.Book Title: Borish's Clinical RefractionRIV Chapter Authors: Marjean Taylor Kulp, Raasch T, Polasky MRIV Editors: Benjamin JPublication Status: PublishedPublication date: January 1998Publisher: W.B. Saunders, PhiladelphiaRIV Pages: 1134-59Reviewed Item?: falsePercent Authorship: 100